View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -eXpo- View Post
It is a manual. Bought the car brand new last December. I think I took delivery of it with 5 miles on it.
My driving/shifting habits are that of any normal driver driving a manual car. This is my daily driver. Hardly ever saw above 4k RPM. (These cars are slow, so I have no desire to drive like I think it is some high performing car). Never raced, never dogged on, never tracked, never anything. And, again, zero modifications. Service was done accordingly at Toyota dealership.
Repair shop was one that my insurance company (USAA) recommended. They did test drive the car after the repair work to be sure that the car was good and ready to come back to me. I think I put about 15 miles on it after I got it back when the rocker shot a hole in the valve cover.
Search the forums this has happened on other cars as well both boosted and naturally aspirated.

From what I read I think the most likely cause is an over rev, however it seems the rocker arms are poorly made and in some cases the rocker pins are off center so it could just as likely be a manufacturing defect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote