Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Drives: 2012 VW GLI
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
they're all ECUTek guys . i'd love to buy a canned tune from one of the ecutek vendors, but i plan to do further upgrades. i'd hate to pay for a new tune every time i change something, and the ecutek maps aren't user editable.

my goal is to get the BRZEdit set up with a basemap for the FBM (presuming i go that route) turbo kit. I'll either have to rent dyno time or pay a tuner to do it, since i can't pull the ecutek-based map from FBM as a base to work from, and i'd hate to do it on the road. initially i plan to map it myself for stock, then exhaust, etc. until the forced induction comes (i'm dynojet certified and have been tuning sportbike fi for the last 10 years, built/tuned many a megasquirt, just don't have access to a dyno).

The end goal is building an online repository of open source BRZEdit maps (and eventually a truly free port of ECUEdit) for 86's of various configurations. The car world could learn a lot from the software world when it comes to things like this. It's absurd that with a forum full of smart people who possess applicable skills, that we haven't seen open source tunes, turbo kits (think thingiverse), lcd gauge panels, etc. if the software world operated at this level of efficiency we'd still be writing in assembly language.

So, a bit of a tangent, but that's what this is for. I want lots of maps, that I own the IP to, that others can have them for free and improve upon them and pay it forward. Because Richard Stallman told me to.

james
James -

I wanna start by saying I absolutely respect your intent here. After all, this is a community and we are here to help each other. However, I disagree that creating a "database" of sorts giving anyone access to open source maps, would be beneficial to the tuning scene or the 86 platform as a whole.

For one, while I whole heartedly agree that there are many smart, talented individuals on this forum, that does not equate to experience. There needs to be safe guards in place; especially in this type of application (tuning cars) because the results of a bad calibration or miscalculation can destroy the engine and be very costly. It's not like writing software, where you make a mistake, the application crashes, you find the bug, no harm, no foul.

I have two good examples of why I don't think this would be a good idea. In the Evo scene, there was very similar approach to this made, and the end result was a complete tank in support. On the other end, in the STi world (and as in this scene), you had Cobb and EcuTek locked in competition to create the best calibration and software. The point being, competition is what breeds the best results. It's what keeps companies on the cutting edge of development and technology. And that's worth keeping proprietary and worth paying for. Otherwise, you lose the incentive for the most talented among us to keep hammering away at making those extra horses.

Lastly, the second example I have is the comparison between Linux and Microsoft (and you could even go off on a tangent with Apple here too). Linux is open sourced. I certainly don't have usage stats "on me" at the moment, but I'd be willing to bet liberally it's low single digits. Meanwhile, (despite Apple's triumphant return to grace with its even MORE closed off ecosystem) Windows still dominates. If you take away the incentive to be the best, you lose the talent to make the best.
Rich@ViscontiTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich@ViscontiTuning For This Useful Post:
CA2 (03-19-2013), coastertrav (03-20-2013), Draco_PR23 (03-19-2013), feldy (03-19-2013)