View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #60
GNS

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
Please contact a lawyer so you can try to get compensation, if you haven't already and if the dealer is not going to claim on its insurance to replace the car.
NO. The only ones that win in this case are the lawyers. Stop supporting these bloodsucking parasites. Resolve it with firm action and an ultimatum - don't ask for more than you've already lost or paid. What you want is a new car to replace the one that you lost, or all of your money back (including the payments that you had made on the loan).

OP... go back to the dealership. Tell them that a week of non-action is not acceptable and you want resolution immediately. Be polite but firm, and never lose your cool. If you're given the run-around, ask to speak to the owner. Don't take no for an answer. Being aggressive and belligerent is a sure-fire way to get shown the door. If you can show that you're calm, reasonable and lucid, your chances are very high that you will eventually get to the top level of management because they will know that they can negotiate with you. Except that you don't want negotiation, which implies a back-and-forth banter. Your argument is a very simple one:

"I brought my car in to replace the fuel pump as part of a TSB/whatever. I drove home afterwards, I started smelling gas inside my car, and then the BRZ caught fire. Please give me a new car to replace the one which I lost."

Do NOT bring up the forum or the internet. Do NOT attempt to try and complicate the situation by making yourself appear to be more knowledgeable than the technicians (ie. don't even try to speculate on what might have caused the fire). I wouldn't even bring up the gear sticking portion - they'll twist it to use it against you.

Ask for a new car that is exactly the same in every way as the car that burned down (options-trim), or ask for a full refund. If it were me, waiting an entire week with no word from Subaru or the dealership would send me ballistic. You're out of a car for a week, through no fault of your own, AND you or other people could have been seriously injured. What if you had parked the car in your garage for the night and it caught fire there? You need to stop being the timid consumer and start pressuring them to make it right.

I'm not saying 'lawyer up', which seems to be a term used mainly in the US, but you must be firm and make it clear to them that nothing less than a brand new car or a 100% full refund is acceptable. Whoever the owner is, I'm sure he's not hurting for money and I would hope that he's smart enough to realize that:

a) His guys fucked up and someone's gonna get shown the door

b) Buying a brand new BRZ to replace the one you lost is going to foster good will between you and his business, and is probably a hell of a lot cheaper than if you went and 'lawyer-ed up'

Last edited by GNS; 01-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GNS For This Useful Post:
b.e (01-27-2013), Braces (01-30-2013), DocCola (04-05-2013), Gixxersixxerman (01-27-2013), LeeMaster (01-28-2013), MrTranxD (01-30-2013), NemesisPrime909 (01-27-2013), SuperDave (01-27-2013)