Wes B.
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[quote=dem00n;638132]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes B. View Post
American muscle cars from the late 60's through the 70's tend to be fairly reliable, dead simple to maintain (from a mechanical standpoint), and cheap to purchase. Here's a list of cars you might want to consider:

1. 1964 Ford Fairlane -- if I bought this car, I'd probably turn it into a Thunderbolt replica.

Rust

2. 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger

Even worst Rust...

3. 1969-1981 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Notorious Engine problems if were going 70's here...

4. 1968-1975 BMW E9
Sure?
5. 1970-1977 Toyota Celica Liftback

Don't these fall apart?
6. 1966-1967 Mercury Comet

Good

7. 1978-1987 Buick Regal GNX

$$$

Good luck finding someone to touch one of those...

I'm not a master mechanic (or even a mechanic, ha) but i'd have to disagree with these choices...

I'm going to pull this card. Reliable depends on the person, how hard you drive it, how often you clean and take care it.

I bet you i can find someone with a Yugo running 250K miles and having no problems. Weird shit happens in the car world, to me there is no such thing as a truly reliable car.

I'd still drive a Yugo for the hell of it.
Everything rusts. Depends which Trans Am engine you're referring to (the first and second generations had a total of 5 different engine options). E9's are fantastic in nearly every way. That generation of Celicas yielded some of the most reliable cars from the 70's. Proper automotive enthusiasts should be able to do most of the work their car demands.

Agree...disagree...I don't care. I just thought I'd throw a few options the original poster probably wasn't even considering.

True, reliability does depend mostly on the driver, but there are still inherently reliable and unreliable vehicles out there.
Wes B. is offline   Reply With Quote