serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I've always used Mopar's Combustion Chamber Cleaner. I haven't done before and after borescopes, but the butt dyno has always agreed that it works. Just make sure you're not spraying it through your MAF sensor. If you're wondering if you need it, this isn't really definitive, but try running a tank or two of 91 octane and see if issues get better.

I'm a strong believer that sensors don't just have two operating states, working and not. They get old, and inaccurate. That's why instrumentation technicians are full time employees in any manufacturing plant, to re-calibrate sensors on a regular basis. I had a Neon that was knocking ever so lightly at WOT. In the end the cause was a faulty crankshaft position sensor. I never had a code though.

With the way you describe you're driving habits and what I know about toyotas combustion chambers and the BSFC they operate at, I still think you should be doing a little better. But then there's the aerodynamics of a soft top, even up it isn't great.

Meh, there's not much a can really do from here and I'm starting to sound preachy so I'll shut up.
I think those are all good points. However the reason I'm willing to give the O2 sensors a chance is because the MAF was completely soiled, and so the O2 sensors were essentially controlling fueling, and they were doing a decent job. The unburned gas smell has been slightly reduced since MAF cleaning, I think it's the transient conditions that are doing much better now.

The way I'm driving I would expect something like 30mpg average due to all the cold starting and stuff.

I'm considering just buying some Seafoam, but doing the whole vacuum hose thing seems really sketchy. Pouring into the gas tank frightens me, as that seems like it could hurt the fuel system. I suppose that's how all the cleaners go though...is there any safe cleaning method? lol