Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #34
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewksy View Post
1: Yes, it is about what is common. And it certainly is about accuracy. But you found *one* example in the C&D Lightning Lap where the ECU speed limiter impacted a car's performance. You know how many lap results were affected by the tires on the car? Every singe one of them - I can even point to every single review where they've tested different tires on the same car (I shouldn't even have to find sources for this) and had drastically different lap times around a track. That's a big deal. Is the ECU speed limiter a big deal? Not even close to being relevant for 99% of the car tests that happen in magazines.

2: I don't even know what we're arguing about here. Tires make a profound difference in performance of a car, are chosen because of a specific price-point the automaker is trying to hit and at the same time maximize traction and control that wouldn't otherwise be possible with the chassis, and are easily the fastest wear-items on any car (besides oils and filters, I suppose).

DarkSunrise said it best - if you're the general public that doesn't care about lap times, then keep everything stock. If you're an autoXer, you would appreciate the comparison of cars on similar rubber. I'm fine if you're in the former group, but it doesn't mean those of that would like better comparisons are wrong in any way.
just changing tires and nothing else isnt any more fair or informative than keeping things stock. my providing one example of an ecu isnt any less valid than the one example of swapping tires on your one frs. take a look at miatas. on equal tires the na8 is faster on equal tires but when you look at the rules, the na6 is the faster car in the classes. changing tires doesnt make any more sense than changing other things too. thats all ive ever been saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midenginebias View Post
Cut a couple of tenths 0-60.

A few more tenths 1/4 mile.

Braking distance.

Skidpad rating.

If anything, I was surprised how well the Fr-S did with the summer Prius tires.
its impossible to equate those things to a chassis alone. if you change the tires on any chassis those numbers will change. quarter mile times, braking distance and skidpads have next to nothing to do with the chassis. if by implying that improving those statistics via tires is hiding chassis issues, then every single car ever has chassis deficiencies.

Last edited by fatoni; 09-14-2012 at 05:25 AM.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote