Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

Drives: Audi & Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
I figured I could make my point more effectively in terms of specific torque output.

NA piston engines that get above 70-75 ftlbs/L are generally expensive. The highest specific NA torque output I'm aware of is the Ferrari 458 Italia (it has DI and makes 89 ftlbs/L).

For purposes of comparison, the DI version of the Cadillac CTS 3.6L makes 76 ftlbs/L while the non-DI version makes 70 ftlbs/L. The S2000's handbuilt F20c made 76 ftlbs/L. Honda's cheaper 2L K20Z3 engine (in the Civic Si) gets about 70 ftlbs/L (similar to the AVCS you mentioned).

If Honda had added DI to the F20c, it'd probably get above 80 ftlbs/L, but keep in mind that's an expensive engine. If they add DI to the Civic Si, I'd expect ~75 ftlbs/L.

Anyway, since the FT-86 is intended to be reasonably priced, I would be surprised if it attains the 85 ftlbs/L (in NA trim) that you predicted.
The cost is going to be reduced since it's a joint project. Toyota most likely saved money elsewhere like on the chassis. The boxer engine is expensive to begin with but toyota just adding DI and other improvements it doesn't seem that bad.

True it could be a high prediction, but in the same token your prediction that it could fall in the 140 range seems somewhat low since the base is already making 141 lb-ft.
Maybe it will actually fall somewhere in between 150-170 range. The IS 350 DI can hit 79 lb-ft/L and that's a pretty common motor. If there is reworked internals and DI for added to the engine then it might have a great effect on torque output.

Edit: the example of the cts with DI, hasn't the torque increased by 20 lb-ft compared to the base version with VVT? Hopefully they can extract similar gains on the boxer.

Last edited by 86Fan; 10-15-2009 at 01:14 PM.
86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote