View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 09:44 AM   #335
Breezio

Drives: 2017 BRZ series.yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
It is. The rear end isn't loose at all like I expected it to be from seeing some other STX runs. I drove two STX cars year ago and you basically steered with the rear end twitching around.

Diving into those left hand sweepers, you'd turn the wheel and keep going straight for a second and then it would hook up and turn. If anything it was early/mid corner understeer and then neutrals out exiting.

It's not an ideal setup by any means. 6k/6k spring rates, 19mm Perrin front swaybar. Damper settings were 10/10 from full stiff out of 20 clicks. I actually lowered the front two clicks from the morning runs thinking the same thing you were.

Would you suggest more of a 8/12 (to full stiff) split? Softer front, stiffer rear. I was chasing issues during our test and tune events, so I haven't been able to mess with the settings much.

I ran it at 12/12 (stiffer) in the smaller lot with hills and that netted a quicker time there because the car felt more stable and I was able to keep on power more.
Take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm not expert on suspension tuning.

I think it would depend on if the front is understeering because it doesn't have enough traction, or because the rear has too much traction.
I'm on RCE T2's, so my damper settings probably aren't too relevant.
However, I am also on a square spring setup (400lb/400lb) with the Hotchkiss 1" hollow bar in the front on soft. Should be similar to the Perrin 22mm bar on soft.
Factory rear PP bar.
When I first started running the car in STX it felt like the rear had too much traction, vs. the front having too little. I stiffened up the rear dampers a bit. That helped but wasn't full what I wanted.
I thought about putting a bigger bar in the rear or maybe adding stiff tophats to the rear shocks (on OEM currently).
Ended up putting rear subframe bushing inserts in and have really enjoyed the setup since then.
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote