View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 01:30 AM   #40
grippgoat

Drives: 2023 BRZ, 2018 Golf R 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
The difference in ride quality and bump handling is astounding. Confidence level has gone up dramatically when loaded up going over bumps, and that's even with me moving from 400 lb/in rear springs to 500 lb/in rear springs. I’m really looking forward to trying them out next week at VIR.
Please don't tempt me.

I've been kinda struggling with the 2WNR for the last year. Not that they've been bad (like Tein Flex), exactly, I just haven't been able to get them to feel "right", whether it's ride on the street, or handling on the track. I had RaceComp Tarmac 2s on my STI, and they had a "ok, these are good dampers" feel compared to the things I had run in the past (KYB, Tokico, or Koni with ground controls, and early 2000s era Tein Flex). And for the price of these shocks and how people talk about them, I was expecting to be impressed, and just haven't been. They soak up some bumps like they're not even there, but yumpy stuff just suuuuucked no matter what I did with the knobs. And I couldn't find adjustments that would make the car not terrifying to turn in at 80+ MPH due to just not feeling sure the back end would stick.

I was running 400f/450r. This weekend I swapped back to the 450f/550r that came in the kit from Karcepts that came on the car, and set the shocks to the Karcepts baseline. While the rear stiffness is gonna get old on the drive to/from the track (that's why I had swapped to the softer setup right after I got the car), my initial impression without even touching the damper knobs is that it does feel like the front and rear are more in sync, and I can feel what's happening load-wise at the rear more, which I think will give me more confidence into corners.

This spring setup is much more in line with the factory ratios, and I'm wondering if that's a factor. If you're 400f/500r now, you're probably back in a similar suspension frequency ratio now, too.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote