Old 04-24-2024, 08:32 PM   #3
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
@FrickingReallySlow @CharlesBrugger

I've gotten my bumper done a couple times by Longo Toyota (not as a stand-alone bumper but along with adjacent paint panel blending). I was satisfied with the paint match, considering Pearl White is one of the hardest colors to do. Final finishing and reassembly could have been better, but overall the paint work was good.

You might try using Toyota's certified collision center list: https://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-...llision-center . They may fare better than your run-of-the-mill collision shop, but you may pay a higher rate out of pocket since they often are attached to Toyota dealerships.

It's not a magic process though. Typically a proper paint match will entail paint blending with adjacent panels so there is a smooth color transition, but that will necessarily increase the labor and material cost because you'll be touching other panels in addition to the original bumper repair.

However, depending on the color of your car, if you go about replacing/repainting only a bumper, the likelihood of a color mis-match is high. Multistage paints (e.g. Pearl whites), silvers, and reds are among the most challenging and will stick out if the match isn't perfect - that's why you blend the color among panels with a transition. Blacks tend to be the easiest to match.

----

That's a long way of saying, there isn't a silver bullet as far as buying pre-painted bumpers shipped to your door. You always roll the dice without a blend, and the chance of getting a good match will vary depending on the color of your car and whether it's a hard color to match or not
EndlessAzure is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
FrickingReallySlow (04-29-2024), Wally86 (04-30-2024)