View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 11:00 AM   #5
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
First, I'm no engine expert, but you might want to ask those who know about supercharging a BRZ engine without modifying the internal parts with stronger pieces. I've heard people say (including a local very knowledgeable Subaru tuner shop) that the base 2.0 BRZ engine can't handle much boost without bending connecting rods and doing other bad things to internal moving parts. If this car has only a supercharger and no other mechanical modifications, it might be in for a short (or expensive) life.
I've actually heard just the opposite. The FA20 can generally take a supercharger or turbo with no issues. Obviously you might want to run a 30 weight oil, but internally they can hold boost in the longer run. That's why Edelbrock makes a bolt on supercharger kit like this.

Cars can sit without any major issues as long as they're getting driven a few hundred miles a year. My buddy has a well modified 2005 STI he literally puts about 400 miles on per year. He's done this for like a decade and the car's been fine. Yearly oil changes, doesn't even use fuel stabilizer in the gas (which I think is a bit nuts).

Given that, the car is certainly for someone willing to pay over $20k for a 2013. The 'buy it now' price is actually $28k. It didn't sell back other times when it hit ~$20k at auction, likely not hitting the reserve price.

The supercharger kit is $7k alone, plus any labor you'd have to pay for with installation if you're not doing it yourself. It has coilovers (or maybe lowering springs) of some sort, but no mention of the suspension, any swaybars, etc. The problem is I don't think anyone is going to pay over $30k when you factor in taxes/fees on an 11 year old car that has a bunch of very nice modifications, but that were done by someone else. It requires a very specific buyer.

Personally, I seek out stock cars and go from there. Buying someone's supercharged car isn't my taste from a reliability and "was it done right?" standpoint.

Dealer has a 4.9 rating on Google, despite what the one thread you posted says. So who knows.
Dadhawk (04-11-2024), NoHaveMSG (04-13-2024)