View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 09:09 AM   #233
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Not sure how he determined they're stretch bolts. The repair manual marks them as non-reusable, yes, but so are the bolts holding the subframe to the car and the nuts holding those trailing arm bolts (which he didn't order). AFAIK non-reusable fasteners are not necessarily stretch bolts (or torque-to-yield). I do agree that the best approach would be to replace any fasteners that are marked as non-reusable by the OEM.

In practice, the consensus on the Internet seems to be that stretch/TTY fasteners are fine to reuse (even engine head bolts) at least a few times (supported by accurate length measurements (the "real" way to confirm stretch bolt degradation when you know the stretch specs) and yield torque measurements, as well as by anecdotal evidence). I've done quite a bit of suspension work on my BRZ and never replaced any hardware that was marked non-reusable. So far everything torqued correctly to the specs without any problems (including these bolts).
Good to know. His post was the first I saw of anyone replacing those bolts the internet is full of opinions lol.

I am still not sure why you even need to undo that tiny that goes from the subframe to the body. Also personally I would support the subframe with a jack and go 1 bolt at a time. I have yet to see anyone even MCA support the subframe during install.

I followed every tip and trick I could find when doing my subframe bushings and it made the install pretty easy. Oh and speaking of stretch bolts I don't recall anyone saying to replace those big subframe bolts lol
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote