View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 07:25 PM   #5
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
First, this is a tragedy. Losing our lives in this sport isn't worth it. I know this was accidental but it definitely makes you think.

That being said, I honestly didn't pick up on the car model he was driving until you said that.

I'm not a structural engineer by trade but the fact that this just happened and looking at the cage construction makes me agree with you.

It would be very interesting to see the crashed vehicle to see where it failed. Looking at the chassis, it sure seems like there isn't a lot of lateral protection for the driver.
Given its weight, you'd think its plenty, honestly. I get a Colision with a sports car would be a problem, given it's 1/2 the weight of a Miata,

from their website:
Safety: Small doesn’t mean unsafe. In fact, quite the opposite. Safety is a top priority at RAW. Our chassis features a front and rear crash structure, a triple roll bar (optional F1-style halo), deep sidepod nerf bars, anti-intrusion panels, optional integrated fire suppression, and seat with six-point harness. You won’t get this level of side-impact and anti-intrusion protection from most GT cars!

Of course, they're a small company. Who knows how much testing they did on that. Crash testing isn't cheap. But who knows how he crashed. He could have had a 100mph impact speed, and you can hardly blame the car for that. It could have been a defect in installing the seat, seat harness, Hans problem, etc. Who knows what happened since it rolled and then hit a wall. Must have been pretty crazy to roll and open wheel.
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote