EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Carrigan View Post
First question: In CA i think e85 is heavily subsidized. So its 4.69$ for premium and 2.79$ for e85 near San Diego. That means e85 costs 60% of premium. With out a tune, i ran e85 for about 100 miles and i got 22.8mpg vs 30mpg. that is only 70% of normal mpg. meaning im saving money. Such savings would make it more attractive for me to make the switch to e85.

Second: this one I can google so just rough answers are fine. How much more power do you get? it is noticeable? I already have cold air intake and headers and catback on it. and my issue now is not very much power above 3000rpm.

Third: it was hard for me to find someone to even do the turn here. Alot would not touch toyotas. He quoted me 800$ plus 200$ for a license (another 180$ if I wanted to maps to go in between e85 and premium). And then 150$ for a fuel pump which I was going to install myself. is there a cheaper option? I am willing to drive to Phoenix if its like 400$.

Thank you in advance for your help.
10 hp going from 91 to E85 with a tune.

You don't need a fuel pump for NA application.

You don't need to go to a shop in person, and don't go to random shops. Go to someone who specializes in Subaru (yes Subaru. You own a Subaru). Any tuner who looks at your car and thinks they're tuning a Toyota doesn't know jack about the car.

Delicious Tuning and CSG both have Subaru experience and offer remote tuning. Both work with the Ecutek ProECU tuning platform.
  • All new: $300 Ecutek license + $300 Ecutek vehicle interface + $300 remote tune + $500 flex fuel sensor kit. You can buy the vehicle interface and flex fuel kit used, which can save you maybe $200. If you're going to go the tune route, it's best to have all of your engine power mods sorted and installed at once. Each time you change/add something, you need to pay for a re-tune.
An alternative is to use Openflash Tuner for about $450.
  • It will come with "free" OFT tunes (including maps for 91 and E85) when you buy the vehicle interface tablet (like how Cobb does theirs), but the tunes are pretty conservative and don't often perform as well as custom Ecutek ones.
  • However, the "free" tunes don't support flex fuel. You would have to buy a custom OFT tune for about $200, plus the $500 flex fuel sensor kit to make that happen.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 03-05-2024 at 11:30 PM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote