View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 07:04 PM   #346
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,005 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
OK, so spent some diag time on #19 today, here is what I found.

I went ahead and removed the exhaust manifold and found why the oil was all leaking out...the oil pan had been removed previously and was now just bolted on with no sealant so it was just leaking out the gap left. This tells me someone else was here diagnosing previously...

I went ahead and drained the remaining oil out of the pan...then removed the pan. Found a big hunk of metal that seems like bearing material in the pan along with a bunch of very small pieces. With the windage tray in the upper oil pan it is difficult to see rod & cap for cylinder #2, I can see the #4 clearly and with the help of a flashlight and mirror I can see most of #3 & #4. All look straight and I can see the piston moving back and forth in the cylinder when the crank is rotated. #2 I can just barely see a portion of, it seems to be moving back and forth ok, and the rod looks straight, but boy there is a super shiny part on the connecting rod, I'm guessing this is where a part of the connecting rod sheared off and that is what I found in the pan. This would explain why there was no rod knock when the engine is spun. I'm guessing that rod is tweaked but still straight enough to clear the cylinder walls.

So, the spare engine I am building will definitly go into this car, then I'll tear down this engine to see if it can be rebuilt, or if it needs to be scrapped.
Code Monkey (01-30-2024), pope (02-04-2024), Spuds (02-01-2024), villainous_frx (02-02-2024), Wally86 (01-31-2024)