CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
^^^Yes, and especially:

Considering it that way, I think the line bends depending on individual aspects of our enthusiasm. I choose to run shitty tires and focus on making the most of what's available inside that envelope. I do drool over the idea of a sweet dry sump. Things like trans and diff cooling are just as important but I wouldn't consider sticky tires without first addressing oiling and wheel bearing issues in support of them.

One may ask, "Why not just replace them as needed?" Personally, I find my bliss in finding that reasonably comprehensive approach to a solution. I don't say it's better or worse for any particular reason. I enjoy the game.

For instance, my next exercise is to build or specify custom output shafts to minimize angular play. I am irritated by that slop. Is it bad? Depends on the use case and overall goals of ownership.
Because the "as needed" may come with a catastrophically high cost.

Lets say you replaced brake pads "as needed". That "as needed" may be in the middle of your endurance race, because you decided that pads with 2/3 their thickness left shouldn't be tossed. Now the $2M spent on that race results in an automatic loss.

Or maybe the "need" came in the form of pads running out at the end of a straight at the track, and the needed braking was no longer there.

Extreme examples, but you get the idea!
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
RT-BRZ (12-11-2023)