View Single Post
Old 07-05-2023, 01:02 PM   #23
andyk5

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I would dispute the need for RLCAs, when car is lowered, you pretty much get what you'd want for street/track rear camber (around -2.5) for free. Possibly with some asymmetry but usually not a problem. I was -2.6 to -2.8 with the old car, -2.4 to -2.6 with the new one.

For more street-oriented though, might look more in the 4-6 kg/mm range of spring rates rather than 10.
Interesting, heard about camber increase due to lowering but did not know you can get -2.5ish in the rear just by lowering. How many inches are we talking about here? Also the car is 90% track, 10% drive to the track though I am trying to keep it as stock as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
10K in the rear by itself might be too much for no aero and no Hoosiers.

Questions:
1) What tires/treadwear are you targeting for your setup?
2) Which coil overs and RCA were identified in the solution?
3) What are the adjustments available on the coil over and RCA?
4) What is the target F/R camber, caster?
5) What is the target ride height?
6) What is the target behavior of the car? (Neutral, Understeer, Oversteer)

If you don't have answers to these questions, you should probably think about what your answer would be. This will allow you to make better choices on the parts and setup.
B
1-200-260, possibly big difference here but I am not that set on a specific tire.

2-I asked about this and was just given brands with respect to budget like ohlins, HKS etc... so I don't really know. As a matter of fact except adjustability options, spring rates and quality of materials I am not sure what makes a specific set of coilovers "better" than others...like this one absorbs bumps better, this one has better low speed compression (from dirt bike days)

3-See above

4-Target is -3.5 front, caster as much as possible. Rear, I don't know. Why? Well I feel like -4 is too much ( I don't see many people run it) and under 3 is not enough as -2 barely gets me half the tire. Caster ...I have read in a racing book I think that more caster always better, it centers quicker, stable etc...

5-No idea, a bit lower than what it is now but I don't want it slammed, I hit curbs, cut some apexes and don't want to rub

6-So I "FEEL" like the car is really pointy right now, as in it wants to oversteer more than understeer. However tire wear tells me a different story. I dunno, it rotates really well especially with trail braking...actually a bit too much. Maybe the oversteer that I am getting is not the car being pointy but me getting on the gas too harsh or too early.... In the end, I don't want it to handle like a Civic Type R which is maddening to me but too much oversteer is pretty hard to drive well. I'd say neutral with a slight tendency to oversteer.

In the end I think I understand the point you are making, that the "solution" is very specific to tire compound, skill/speed of the driver, desired geometry and behavior of the car. I kind of knew this which is why I have been trying to stay away from blindly "upgrading" the parts on the car, expecting them to make it better.
andyk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andyk5 For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (07-05-2023)