View Single Post
Old 06-12-2023, 08:15 AM   #25
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I had stock studs on my car for 7-8 years with wheels on off hundreds of times with no issue.
Yep, I read plenty of owners having zero issues. And plenty of people who had issues after a couple of wheel removals. I'm somewhere in the middle, with 3 years and probably around 30-40 wheel removals before starting to have issues.

I've actually started having some crunchiness in some rear studs before buying the cordless ratchet (when still spinning the nuts by hand all the way), so I would have probably needed to replace the studs even without the extra damage the cordless ratchet.

Quote:
I found this article online. Not sure if the thread pitch has to do with these issues or not.
This article is inline with what I've read, but is similar to most other sources in that it gives a bunch of plausible explanations, but can't really explain why some people have issues and others don't for the same use cases (i.e. not overtightening, spinning them by hand, etc.). Perhaps there're significant variations in studs and nuts, or once a small amount of contamination is introduced it quickly snowballs into more severe damage.

Quote:
I also read an article how some rattleguns have a weird (pattern?) and can cause galling. I can't seem to find it right now.
Interesting. This would confirm my theory about the way the cordless ratchet affects the lugs (how the torque is delivered to the nuts).

Quote:
What impact do you have?
DeWalt DCF921.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote