View Single Post
Old 04-10-2023, 11:14 PM   #3
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,484 Times in 6,179 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I haven't owned a whole lot of cars but they all have some fun/y memory.

The first car I owned was a 2001 Saab 9-3 Linear 5 speed manual that I learned to drive stick in. Yes, I bought a car I couldn't drive as my first car lol. It's name was Simon.

Bought it in sophomore year of college in 2009 and proceeded to drive 2 hours each way every other weekend to visit my girlfriend, now wife, in the middle of nowhere Vermont. The first time I drove it to her college (our second date), I was supposed to go back to mine that night. I learned some valuable lessons that day:
1: Vermont does not plow their roads or highways when it is snowing.
2: Summer tires with no tread left really suck in the snow.
3: Dorm room floors are extra hard in your girlfriend's room.
To the car's credit, it got me up a giant hill to the highway, past the point where several Jeeps/SUVs had slid into the ditches on either side minutes after passing me, across the access road, and back to her dormitory.

Notable college-style "repairs":
-The exhaust got a hole in it which I simply didn't fix it because it sounded cool.
-The drivers window was held up with a few 2x4s artfully wedged between the door frame and skin when the window mechanism seized.
-My odometer doubled as a gas gauge for a bit over a year.
-I did replace the Saab emblem on the front though!

Edit:. Now that I'm remembering, that was also the day that I had driven to her parent's house to pick stuff up she had left at home (thus meeting her parents alone), drove on multiple backwoods dirt roads/half frozen creek beds, and got lost a few times with only an atlas. Simon did it all, I kind of miss that car now. What a strange day that was.

Last edited by Spuds; 04-10-2023 at 11:49 PM.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Sapphireho (04-11-2023)