View Single Post
Old 04-03-2023, 12:51 PM   #1
CastrolTom's86

Drives: It goes br-br-br-br-BRAAAAApppppp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Performance Gains with Catted UEL Headers on Kouki ('17+) 86

I have a 2017 Toyota 86 and purchased a set of catted FT86 Speedway UEL headers with the thought that they would slightly increase hp like on zenki models. After doing some research, I discovered that the headers provide negligible gains to hp on kouki models at the very best. So now here I am having had the headers coated with Swain Tech's white lightning and just before installing them, wondering whether I should just resell them.

I'm guessing the increased performance gains amounts to 3 hp at most because of the fewer cells in the cat? Does anyone have any dyno results from catted headers on the kouki models? Besides performance, other factors that I'm considering in making my decision are noise, CEL, and the effects of increased engine bay heat.

Noise: Rumble is great but I don't want my car obnoxiously loud. I already have a TRD catback exhaust and worry about droning.

CEL: Seems like the cat does not guarantee it won't appear, and in NY inspections are required annually.

Engine bay heat: The headers have been coated with a pretty good ceramic coating but they still won't be as cool as what the heat shield on the stock headers provide. I planned on putting heat barrier tape on the oil pan, but I still worry about the effects down the line.

What do you guys think?
CastrolTom's86 is offline   Reply With Quote