NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,375 Times in 7,410 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
A built shortblock could allow for higher RPMs with lightweight and stronger components. You could put higher compression pistons, assuming you are on E85. If you wanted torque, you could stroke the block. If you wanted displacement, you could sleeve the block. My whole point is forged/built/different internals aren't just for surviving boost.
I'm well aware of the other potential a fully built engine can have, it just doesn't make sense to me. If I had unlimited budget and was competing tightly within a ruleset, then building an NA block would make sense. I track and build stuff for fun though on a normal blue collar wage. I actually have a doner long block with a spun bearing that I think about doing a forged rotating assembly but I keep backing off that idea because the cost goes through the roof pretty quickly. Stroking is not worth it, the rod ratio on the FA is already not good, and stroking it would put it into the bad range, especially combined with more RPM. More RPM's doesn't help without the supporting head mods to take advantage of it not to mention the FA oiling issues. I'd be looking at a $8-10K engine that on E85 might make a little more power then a stock FA24 or K24 on E85, but be no more reliable. If it could initially cost me say 5k, to get into an FA24 swap, but then 2200 for replacement shortblocks. Sounds pretty good to me.
Opie (12-19-2022), Tatsu333 (12-19-2022), Ultramaroon (12-19-2022)