Old 11-14-2022, 02:53 AM   #1465
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS View Post
... Anyway, Im planung to close the undertray to a flat floor as far as possible. There will be NACA ducts needed to cool converters, tranny, differential and driveshaft. As well the cutout for the exhaust besides the differential has to stay. There is simply not more room and this is only a 3" pipe. Im planning to go for a 3.5" pipe since I have very high gas velocity in the exhaust. Only thing I will be able to optimize in that area is the opening directly under the differential. This will be closed in a future revision of the diffuser. How exactly is not clear yet. Im considering to weld cooling fins to the lower side of the diff housing which lower edges are flush with the diffuser plane. This, at the same time, could act as an air vent/exit for the NACA inlets upstream in the tunnel.
IIRC some makers were making alternative diff casings that provide both larger oil volume for diff and those cooling ribs. For example Cusco (also ports to attach external cooling rad, if needed). So not sure it's worth custom making own. Then again, your max speed build probably is meant for straight line? LSD diff generates heat when car corners a lot, such as on track. Probably it will work less in straights where max speed is attainable.
P.S. speaking about aero mods .. - what do you think of round covers for wheels faces to smoothen flow/reduce drag? (IIRC some porsches had such). I'd also think of reducing drag by mods to some smaller bits, like side mirrors/antena.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote