Old 11-03-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
Hi. I am newer to cars, and have done very few small maintenance for my current car. I was wondering if it would be logical to buy a “salvaged” car that has most likely been in an accident. (probably no problems with the engine) and try and rebuild it to try and save some money. I have a lot of space, tools, and a lot of time. I was just wondering what other problems I would run into, and if it is overall worth the risk.
Rebuilding a salvage car is not nearly as straight forward as it may seem even if no engine damage.

Bent structure, cut harnesses, airbag modules, etc all take more than "I can change oil" levels of skill and specialized equipment to deal with.

The guys with that equipment and skills make it look really easy. It ISN'T!

In the long run you will find that you will probably not save much money and the probability of the project ending up as a tarp covered lawn ornament and animal condo is high.

If you want to learn buy an older beat up but functioning one and practice the basics.
soundman98 (11-03-2022), Ultramaroon (11-03-2022), Wally86 (11-03-2022), x808drifter (11-04-2022)