Old 08-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #214
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
First, I love how you and your little very young and very naive cohort think that anybody that doesn't automatically agree that dealerships all suck, are all filled with shady individuals, and everything and anything they do is useless and unethical is "white-knighting" dealerships. I have never said anything even CLOSE to that point. In fact, I AGREED that in this day and age dealerships probably aren't necessary and I look forward to a day when most (probably all) manufacturers offer direct-order type arrangements for those who want to use them. I (and you and your little friend) would certainly be in the group that would choose to never walk into another dealership if they had the choice.

So you can stick it where the sun don't shine as far as thinking I am in love with dealerships and/or the people that work there. I don't love them/I don't hate them. I do understand why they do what they do (free market - hello??) and that given that the company that manufactures the car that I want but to buy (in this instance) doesn't offer me any alternative but to buy the car that I want from a dealership, I ACCEPT the fact that they are (for now) a necessary evil.

I am in favor of the free market and everything that means. I like it when it helps me (i.e. the fact that I bought my BRZ for probably very close to what the dealer paid for it screwing him, and also that I sold that same BRZ to Vroom for way more than I thought it was worth because, at that time that is what the market demanded) and I like it when it doesn't help me (i.e. right now trying to buy a new car at MSRP- particularly a very desirable car like the GR86 that is in short supply).

I am not some petulant child that only likes the free market when it helps me. And, as you recall in this instance, the buyer had a signed agreement with the dealer for a certain deal that included a B.S. add-on of lease damage insurance that amounted to the dealer essentially getting the market value for the car he was going to sell. The original buyer then went back on his agreement to lease and the dealer was left scrambling for a way to get the market value out of the car that he planned on (and deserved). I was fine with the original buyer walking away when the dealer said that would come in the form of $1,500 rust protection as that would allow the dealer to go out and get market value for the car. I am happy that the customer and the dealer negotiated an acceptable solution for both.

And if you and your little cohort can't understand these relatively simple economic concepts, I am not sure what else I can say.

Yes, insult my intelligence and flaunt your mistaken perception that I am young and uneducated about economics...you are laughable.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote