View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #14
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
One thing your failing to bring up when owning vs renting and I do believe a home is a liability, because anything that costs you money is a liability.

I bought my home here in OKC almost 5 years ago. The payment is the same then as it was when I made the first payment. The fancy downtown apartment I rented when I first moved here at the beginning of 2017 is roughly $300/more per month than January 2017. And most properties like that go up each time you renew your lease.

But I also don't have to replace the AC unit if it goes out, or pay the deductible if a hail storm trashes my roof.

And as far as I gather, many people will buy a home vastly too expensive for their income just because the bank will loan it to them. That's one of the few things that keeps me in Oklahoma. I purchased a nice, completely renovated home in a quiet neighborhood, for $156k. So my month payment is only about 22% of my take home, vs the 30-35% gross banks will lend you. And that doesn't include my fiance's salary.
Wally86 (07-06-2022)