View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #4
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Not silly at all. Some people do just that, typically buying lightly used Primacy tires that came from someone replacing them with stickier ones. I don't know how it is in the Philippines, but in the US the Primacy tires are extremely expensive, almost the most expensive tire you can get in the stock size. This leads to almost nobody buying them new, as it makes more sense to buy better tires for cheaper.

As for the Primacy tires themselves, I agree that they are good tires to learn on. They behave very well in the dry, with good traction and easy breakaway that happens gradually and at slower speeds, making the car easy to catch. Their main issue is in the wet, where they have low grip, especially for the rear tires (making accelerating from a stop challenging in anything but granny pace and any mild application of power causing the rear to step out in turns).

Still, I wouldn't call them a must and you should be fine with 300 or higher treadwear category tires . Just keep in mind that oversteering would require more deliberate throttle application and will happen in higher speeds.
Agreed on the Primacys. Picking up a set cheap on craigslist/FB Marketplace is. Great option for someone learning to drive quickly. They provide acceptable grip if you're smooth and have predictable breakaway characteristics. A set of Michelin as4 is another excellent option. Somewhere that doesn't have winters you could get away with PS4S or the Conti ExtremeContact Sport. I generally avoid tires not made by Michelin or Continental for street use. Other brands make perfectly fine tires, but those two are the leaders.

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote