View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 06:15 AM   #372
DIY

Drives: BRZ, WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some small updates for you guys. I've been working on the oil and fuel tanks and getting them mounted in the car.

The dry sump oil tank is just an off the shelf item I imported from the UK. I did have some plans to make my own but I got this one cheap enough that it wasn't really worth the effort.

The fuel cell on the other hand is something I haven't really seen anyone do before but I thought it was a good idea and I think its going to work well.

The starting point for the fuel tank is a 5 gallon portable air tank which should give me a rough capacity of 17 liters. These tanks are incredibly strong as they are rated to hold up to 125psi.

My basic idea is to construct an oversized surge tank, tall and round to prevent fuel starvation. Since the car is being used for time attack it only really needs to do an out lap, hot lap and cool down lap in each session, anything more is extra weight. I have estimated I will need up to 5.6litres of E85 per lap at Sydney Motorsport park if the engine is making 800hp for example.

I have purchased a billet triple fuel pump hanger from Proflow which will require a little bit of modification to make it work with the air cylinder because the cylinder is taller than most fuel cells.

You can see below I have welded the mounting ring to the end of the air cylinder and capped off the original air hose connection. I have also shaved off the stand but I might leave the handle as it is super handy for carrying the tank.

The reason I have gone for the triple hanger version is it leaves me with the required amount of ports in the billet plate to make this system work. I will be running 2 staged Walbro 450LPH pumps (F90000274) and I will be using the port for the third pump to house my rollover vent.

I will post more photos once the mounts are made for both tanks in the car, I'm still waiting on some parts to arrive to finish all this but below is a photo of where the tanks will be sitting in the chassis, basically as close to dead center as possible with the oil tank closer to the engine.

My Build Thread
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DIY For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (05-09-2022), Busybee (05-02-2022), Code Monkey (05-01-2022), Irace86.2.0 (05-31-2022), NoHaveMSG (05-01-2022), pope (05-01-2022), RToyo86 (05-29-2022), T0rt0r0 (05-03-2022)