View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #48
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The fluid degradation is such that shims won't do anything. Plus, CSG pads already have thermal insulation built in!

The next weakest point is the rotor, but all this just verifies what we know from the 13-20 cars!

This is how my rotors used to look regularly, before I put on a BBK. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bki4Vc_Ay5Q/
In my case shims made a huge, quantifiable difference most likely because the aftermarket pads (Raybestos ST47/ST45s) didn't have the insulation layer as you mentioned.

As you may be already aware Motul RBF 600 lowered their dry/wet boiling temp ratings so I switched to Castrol SRF a couple years ago that and shim combined solved most of my fade issues.

See below for before (2017 Camaro SS 1LE - same pads and Motul RBF 600 without ti shims) and after (2019 Camaro SS 1LE Castrol SRF and Ti shims) ..of course it's a much heavier, faster car with very sticky tires but same conditions and track. After that I didn't have to see purple calipers after a first event anymore

Are 1st gen and 2nd gen brake system is interchangeable? I am planning to get BBK, coilovers, anti roll bars for now and am not planning to touch the engine so it would be amazing if many of the things are the same so I wouldn't have to wait for them to become available
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote