View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 07:42 AM   #1228
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Given he is going for a 100% no slip target, it may be worth looking into if he hasn't.
An over running pulley isn't related to the charging system overcharging --which I think you might be referring to given that you mentioned increasing the crank pulley's size.
It is a special pulley that has a 1 way clutch-like bearing inside of it so the alternator can keep spinning forward when the belt is abruptly slowed down.
I had a chat with the Harrop guys about the realities of %100 no slip, and they suggested its perhaps not an ideal scenario for most non track cars.
I got the impression that some (limited) slip can be/is desirable to mitigate some of the belt shock that can occur with with aircons and (like you suggested) modern high power/load alternators.
The RPM belts should also be more resistant to stretch.
If I was continuing to have issues, my next step was actually the alternator pulleys you mentioned, they are not too expensive, look look fairly easy to fit. (And since I staggered the two fans switching on, it seems to mitigate a little of the instant drag)
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote