WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,187 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I didn't say it was a sports car/coupe. I described the i3 as a proof of concept. A sports car is a Miata, aka a lightweight, open-top/closed-top, good handling car. The i3's shell and body could have been changed to any shape and with any suspension and been a sports car. The point is the proof of concept. There are GT cars, sports sedans, muscle and pony cars, etc that are all sporty vehicles, but you said an EV sports car under 3500lbs isn't possible now or ever, and I demonstrated that it already is possible.
It didn't have the range. And that's what makes it so heavy. Maybe it wasn't popular because of its styling (and rightfully so)

Quote:
You didn't have other qualifiers, but now you are adding acceleration, range and production numbers to your list of qualifiers to go along with "less than 3500lbs". I don't know how production numbers or popularity matters, but the car did sell 31k units in the US in 2019, which is on par or higher than the 86, so I don't really get your point. Maybe it would be worth defining your statements, so we don't waste time with a back and forth that ends in a redefining of the original statement.
You can get off your high horse here. My parameters have been consistent for basically ever on here.

[QUOTE]Active/torque vectoring differentials are outlawed in F1, are on many exotics and sports vehicles like the ISF, Focus RS, Porsche and Supra/M cars to name a few. Are all these sporty vehicles inherently flawed? [QUOTE]

The Focus RS absolutely is inherently flawed. Without the vectoring its handling would be reflective of it's weight imbalance. Plenty of cars handle fine without the vectoring, that aren't flawed, but its still an option for them as well. I'm saying the ones that are flawed need it in order to handle proper. It's a bandaid. My GTI is guilty of that as well. But I bought it to be a DD grocery getter so whatever, I don't have any allusions about it being some great performance vehicle. Porsche made the 2nd gen Cayman larger, and as a result the only way they made it as nimble as the first gen was to offer torque vectoring as an option. So I would consider that a flaw yes. It's also the same reason a chunky 992 911 is able to hang with lighter more mechanically pure driving 911s of years before.

Quote:
The point of the conversation about noise is that noise is already fake, so not much is changing. Get a turbo whistle or speaker like ICE vehicles do.
That was a term of expression. Sarcasm at the joke of it. I agree it's sad as well.

Quote:
The Miata is likely to be a hybrid first and then a full EV like all cars, where the Miata could go back to a 1.5L or smaller displacement motor and use the electric motor for torque fill until it makes the full switch to EV, or maybe it'll use a 600cc motor for extended range and go EV. We will have to see. Regardless, I fail to see how a Miata will add over 1300lbs in weight going electric.

https://www.motor1.com/news/515992/n...brid-electric/
If anyone could do it, probably will be Mazda (if they're still an independent company in 10 years). But a hybrid Miata sounds miserable. Hopefully they'll just make it an ICE until the technology exists to make it an EV with the same ethos.

Quote:
Again, you seem to have certain metrics in your mind that you qualify as a sports car, as in a certain amount of performance, yet you also want range and lightweight and who knows what else. Oh yeah, you want it to be popular. If this sports car is suppose to be a sports car then we are classically talking about something that is lightweight, two-seater, good-handling roadster, or in the case of sports coupe, something with a hardtop, but acceleration isn't necessarily a given. The Miata and 86 are underpowered, but they perform well.
Huh? What do I care if a sports car is popular or not. I just want something to be popular enough for the business case to exist for it to not lose money, i.e. so someone will see value in building it. Seems pretty obvious to me that an EV sports car needs range equal to an ICE sports car so that it can be used for track events. Otherwise what's the point. These cars are toys. Again I'm all for variety but what you're seeing is cancellation and replacement with vehicles that aren't the least bit similar.