Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #65
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,304 Times in 720 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
The big difference is the GR86's springs are 11% harder in the rear and 7% softer in the front. The BRZ has a 14mm rear anti-roll bar vs the 15mm rear anti-roll bar in the GR86. Lastly due to use of aluminum in some of the front suspension components (instead of steel) the BRZ is probably a few ounces-to-lbs lighter in the front. So in stock form, the GR86 has more front grip and possibly better turn in while the BRZ has better rear grip and a more stable back end. This would be something you could easily effect with aftermarket springs on either car. So, in the end, I'd say get the car you like the aesthetics, dealer experience, and warranty of most and tune the suspension to your liking in the aftermarket.
While I agree that spring and ARB rates can be easily tweaked with aftermarket parts (heck, I'll do coilovers either way),
I'm still worried that the other differences.

All things being equal, if the throttle in the GR 86 is more like an on/off switch, and in the BRZ it's more linear, I might decide to avoid the GR 86.
Although it might not be too hard to fix that with an OFT in a year or two?
But also some people want/need to keep the stock engine tune for various reasons (e.g. CARB).
EPS is even harder to re-program, I presume?

It lloks very much possible to swap steel vs aluminum front knuckles, but also a non-trivial amount of effort and $$$.
But perhaps the difference in practice is minimal and even die-hards won't bother.

The rear ARB mounting and harder rear trailing link bushings on the BRZ sound like nice improvements, but perhaps most people wouldn't even notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
I like how Subaru calls some last minute changes by Toyota the way they are: "carry over parts".
Ooh, burn
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-31-2021), Jianlun (08-31-2021), Sport-Tech (08-31-2021)