Old 04-20-2021, 09:01 AM   #9
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The crazy thing is that this was bid on by multiple people who have deep pockets all clamoring for the same thing. Some people have too much money.

I understand that cars can be rare and expensive or expensive and expensive or old and expensive or have a story and expensive, or it can have a combination of things. This seems to be rare, but not visually unique, nor does it have a particularly exciting story, nor was it particularly expensive to begin with, right? Seems overpriced, but rich people have so much cash to burn that they can waste money. Then again, this will sit in someone’s car museum and never see much more road tike before being flipped as an investment.
Completely agree, as well as with the comments about how cool and rare this car is.

But $312,555?!?!?

When the car was listed, I thought, hmm, nice car, interesting, I could see paying somewhere in the low $20k's for it, but that someone would probably bid it into the $30k's. I was off by an order of magnitude.

As you pointed out, it wasn't just one mentally unstable insanely rich person willing to pay that price. There were multiple bidders into the high $200's/low $300's.

Yes, the uber-wealthy have unimaginable amounts of cash to burn. It's their money to spend any way they want. But it just strikes me as somehow obscene and depraved when people spend $312,555 for a Subaru. Any Subaru (no offense to Subaru, I love them and have 3). That's more than the average cost of a house in this country. For a Subaru.

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/rese...e-price-state/

Is this car really 10 times more fun to drive than a new WRX? Is it worth 10 times the cost of a new WRX?

It's not just what other cars could be bought with even a fraction of that money (after all, it's personal choice). But the better things that could be done with it. No matter how astronomically wealthy a person is, does anyone really need to spend $312,555 for a Subaru? Somehow, it seems like spending, oh, I don't know, maybe half of that on a fantasy car and then maybe the other half on accomplishing some good in the world might be a better way to go? I love cars as much as anyone here, but I could think of a few more meaningful things that could be done with that much money.

There is far too much money concentrated in the pockets of far too few people. In the past, whenever this situation has occurred, it usually doesn't go well. If you happen to have a time machine, travel back and ask the French aristocracy in the late 1700's, or the Russian nobility in the early 1900's, how things worked out for them.

Or maybe just travel back and stock up on every Subaru Impreza 22B STi, 1976 Toyota Celica, S2000, and Civic Si you can find.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-20-2021), Spuds (04-20-2021)