Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
The TRD Camry is not a bad choice.
Yep, it's more than the sum of it's parts. I went shopping for a leftover 86 when the $3K cash back was running, saw a '21 TRD Camry, test drove and it's in the garage. For well under $30K OTD (no sales tax here), cheap insurance, one of the last V6 midsize cars (and the iconic engine is used throughout the Lexus lineup), runs fine on regular gas, is enjoyable to drive and makes for a fun DD. Like my FR-S, I take the long, scenic way home on mountain roads most every time.

My '21 has useful updates like BSM, RCTA, heated mirrors, JBL system, floating large touchscreen, summer tires (RE-050's 96Y) on unique lighter, wider wheels, the body kit, lower firmer bespoke suspension, firmer big brake kit pedal, TRD exhaust, and the many custom touches in and out. Okay, maybe not the spoiler, but the splitter, skirts and diffuser make up for it and Toyota says it adds downforce.

What I don't like, besides fake vents, is the 8A/T that gear hunts in Normal mode and in Manual Sport mode won't always gear hold though the paddles are fun and Sport makes a difference in throttle response and steering feel. Maybe a TSB will happen but I won't be tracking it so adapted to minimize the quirks. It needs an LSD and that's in the works.

Plus my wife can drive it if desired. She hated the FR-S, didn't feel safe, sat too low (though the TRD Camry is about the same), and doesn't care to drive M/T's any longer.

BTW, I used to live on Water St. in Stonington and miss that area for the cycling, sailing, flying scene, interesting people, beaches of Watch Hill, and great seafood.

One like mine, Wind Chill Pearl, 1 of 500 in that color I'm told by TMNA. This is the last year of production and the dealer tells me they sell quickly. I'm surprised it gets so much favorable attention given its humble bones.

Last edited by Atmo; 02-24-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote