Old 01-09-2021, 10:28 PM   #531
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I have read of a similar cognitive malfunction whose label I cannot remember/find. It is closely related to the D-K Effect.
It goes along something like this: stupid people over estimate their capabilities while experts under-estimate their ability in their field. That is, the experts know how much they don't know so they down play what they do know. I don't mean they are modest, just that they know more than they think they do.

P.S. It turns out the under-estimation of ability by experts is part of the D-K Effect.
They are modest. Scientists are some of the most modest people, especially around their peers. Science is full of language and checks and balances designed to humble someone. Besides that fact, people with PHDs aren't that intelligent. The average person with a PHD has an IQ of 110. Where as, the average MD has an IQ of 130 or something. They are just studious, dedicated and hard working. Their expertise isn't derived from some innate ability like a physician's memory or processing power or like an athlete's physique.