View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #18
gcmak

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
The strange part is that buying these tires yourself is much more expensive than tires like PS4S or ECS - TireRack has the Primacys at about $250 while PS4S are for less than $200 and ECS for around $150. I'm sure Subaru and Toyota don't pay list price, but it's a pretty bizarre choice, nonetheless.
Americas Tire seems to be a bit more reasonable on the price difference, but the Primacy HP is still a few bucks more expensive than the PS4S...it could be due to a lower volume tire...a 240 tread-wear touring tire is somewhat odd. I recognize tread-wear ratings are not standardized and can vary within a brand.

I haven't tried the PS4S on the BRZ yet, but on 2 other cars I had, once I switched to PS4S I consistently notice 4 things...

1. smaller road imperfections are soaked up better, 2. reduced road/tire noise and 3. immense grip in wet and hydroplane resistance, and 4. a slight reduction in turn-in sharpness/sidewall flexibility at the limits in some b-road and most track conditions (this is not a tire I like to run for an HPDE for this reason alone).

I might try the PS4S on the BRZ after doing a trackday with the stock tires, and I'd expect the same 4 things to stand out to me...but since this is a weekend/track-day car for me, I will likely go for stickier tires, foregoing daily comforts; like Hankook R-S4 or Bridgestone 71-R.
gcmak is offline   Reply With Quote