View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ABS/traction control failure help

Hey guys-

Hoping someone has had a similar experience or maybe help shed some light on a problem-

When I had the car out for the last track day, I experienced a rather unusual sensation driving to/from the track-

The car felt like it was tram-lining REALLY bad, like it had 305 series tires and a flat alignment (and it doesn't). The back end was walking all over the place. I mean it would drive straight, then I'd feel the back end "dance" around like I was going over uneven pavement, then it would stop. Then do it again. All while I was driving straight, or through gentle curves.

On the track --where I run pedal dance mode-- the car felt rock solid and stable. Driving that same the stretch of highway/road in 'pedal dance' mode to get gas - it maybe felt a bit better, but still the type of same swaying behaviour.

Fast forward to the last track session of the day, and after several laps the left front wheel locked up REAL bad. Completely caught me off guard, flat spotting and ruining the relatively new AR-1.

I cruised back to the pits and noticed the "stability control" (?) idiot light in the center of the dash was now lit up (ie not the one to the right that lights up with pedal dance - it was already lit) and the ABS light was on too.

Let the car sit for a while as I packed up, and when I restarted it, ABS and trac light were off, but it exhibited the same 'swaying' feel as I drove home. Took it for a bit of a cruise after unloading, and maybe 10 miles later those 2 lights lit up again.

At that time I pulled over and felt the rear wheels and they were warm to the touch, even though I hadn't been braking hard, which makes me think this is somehow tied in to the stability control system.

If it is - what I don't get is why I still experienced this in pedal dance mode on the road/highway but NOTHING on track?

Any ideas what I should be looking for? The car is parked a few hours away from me and I'd like to have a plan of attack to check it over when I go back.

My initial thought was a wheel speed sensor, but I don't get how that would affect things in pedal dance mode?

Next thought was the clock spring, but then I remembered that after having issues with it a few years back (when I went to an aftermarket steering wheel) going into pedal dance mode stopped those problems cold.

The reason the clock spring occurred to me, is that I noticed my steering wheel was "off center" while driving straight - and I'm pretty sure it left the alignment shop last year with it "centered".

I tried to pull codes off of it when the ABS light and center-dash traction control idiot light were both on, but got no codes using the OBDlinkLX
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote