View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #21
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
First off, thank you. Let's talk about the gear ratios. That 3.6-to-1 ratio is 3.6 revolutions of the input shaft for every single of the output.

input 4000 -> output 4000/3.6 = 1111 (ish) RPM. Follow down for the rest of the gears.

That doesn't invalidate your observations overall, especially the whirring sound you hear and resistance felt when downshifting into second and especially first. The reason that sound is important is because for any shift, the input shaft is being driven by the output via the syncro clutch. The lower the gear, the greater the mechanical disadvantage through which the syncro clutch must drive the input. The viscous drag of the gear oil is amplified in the lower gears, and the syncro clutches in this transmission are as compact as possible for a conventional gearbox. There's more to it. The layout of the gearbox with respect to what the 1-2 syncro clutches must drive also plays into the picture.
Ugh you're right, torque multiplication is the output side calculation, not speed. Not the first or last time I'm gonna flip those . My way would mean we would never need to deal with a money shift, and all our wheels would be the size of pebbles. I never said I'm a mechanical engineer because I actually live in the friction free world of software. I'll go back and update it all.

My takeaway is I can't be trusted to write this sort of technical post in layman's terms during my lunch break. Thanks for keeping me honest.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anticubus For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-16-2020), Ultramaroon (05-16-2020)