Old 04-19-2020, 01:58 AM   #2260
BA9092
Captain Slow

Drives: '18 BRZ Limited PP 6MT ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
The 2.0 Supra is a serious disappointment though. Too heavy and too expensive for its mediocre official performance. It should be pushing out at least 300HP...

If there is no next gen 86, I don’t know what I’ll ‘upgrade’ to from my 2015 twin. I was planning on the next gen... and hoping the rumour of the 2.4 turbo was true. It would be the perfect power and torque for the 86, basically making it an FR Cayman for beer money. Another NA, asthmatic, torque-less engine isn’t going to cut it today... performance expectations have moved on significantly from 2012, when the twins first came out. Regular non-sport ‘economy’ family hatchbacks give you 200HP and torque for days from turbo engines now.

The 2.0 Supra is no real 86 replacement. Too fat, far too expensive. The twins fill a real niche in the lineup... I really hope they don’t get killed off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
The "255hp" is closer to 280-290hp and thats before a 30hp/60ft+ warranty retaining Dinatronics tune. BMW often underrates their engine outputs as you know anyway. The true 50/50 weight distribution seems to have done the chassis a world of good according to those who have driven at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
There is no way it produces mid 200 hp, it does 0-60 in 4.9s
True. It's most likely underrated.

My 2015 Golf R had 292hp/280tq at 3340lbs. 0-60 was claimed at 4.5.

The 2.0 Supra is certainly sexier too.

I know the 718 Cayman and Boxster are 4-bangers too, not to mention the WRX & STI, the S3/TTS, Type-R and both the Mustang and Camaro have turbo four variants... But spending +$40k on a 4-cylinder is tough to swallow.

If we don't get a second generation BRZ/86, then the "entry level" 2.0 Supra will be a great addition.

Every car is getting heavier and fatter. It's just become the normal evolution with safety and added features. I'm sure a new gen 86/BRZ would be heavier than the current model.

The BIGGEST complaint and issue with the current generation has always been power or lack thereof. But what's sufficient for the chassis? 220? 250? And who would chose between a $35k next gen twin with 230hp vs a $40k Supra with 260hp? A manual transmission maybe the only deciding factor at that point, unless Toyota/Subaru have something up their sleeve. Regardless, I doubt Toyota will make anything now to steal the spotlight from the Supra. Especially since they've confirmed the GR Yaris.
BA9092 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BA9092 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-19-2020)