View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #5322
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Are you folks putting back in the factory ducting that needs to be trimmed around the FMIC piping? If you don't you will, literally, lose more than half of your cooling.

Hood vents will also further decrease temps.

The CSG BRZ with a C30 HBP never saw oil temps over 255F, in ~115F ambient temps with the factory air guides in place, and Trackspec hood vents. This was a record setting car at the time.
I did, I had to buy it new because I misplaced the stock one. I also purchased the foam for the radiator new, just those 2 things lowered the temps while on the highway (hard to set up a track day just to test that). I also have the trackspec louvers and the APR CF cover. The last time the car was out I let a friend drive it and forgot to turn the heater on, after 5 laps at Sebring the car threw a code for low voltage for the coolant sensor, the ECU registered 246 for the coolant. Turned the heater on at that point and there seems to be no damage. I cleared the code and it's been fine since (on the street, haven't attended another event).

I stopped looking at my oil temp gauge because it triggers the warning (set at 265) after 2 laps, it's flashing all the time and I know now it's a false reading. The JRDOC does keep oil temps within 30 degrees of the coolant just like JR states, so given that the car pulled the code when the coolant was 246, following that logic the oil was at 276 or so after lap 5 on a clean track (no traffic). This was with an ambient of 64. I wouldn't dare do that mid-summer at Sebring, even with the heater full blast.

I have been told the ECU will pull timing if it detects an unusually high oil temp, that has yet to happen.

I have a C38 HBP on E-85. How much cooling capacity will the dedicated track cooler buy me?
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-09-2020)