View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
CarJunkie

Drives: BMW1M, e30 325e, 2015 Prius,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some great responses above, thanks all. I have a shop with a lift, although a drivetrain swap is not something I would do myself. The e30 is a 4door, and has too many little issues to mention to be worth salvaging. I would probably sell it or give it to my brother.

I should clarify, he would be doing HPDE with professional instruction. Even if they signed him off to drive solo, I would not let him truly drive solo until he is 18, regardless of what he was driving.

I should also clarify that my 1M has been autocrossed and tracked for years, and it shows. I’m not that guy who shines it for shows and puts painters tape all over it to prevent cone and marble marks. I give it a good finish refresh once a year and drive the snot out it. I will never sell it so I don’t care what they are “worth” to collectors who will never appreciate the drive. With traction control on, and an instructor in the seat next to him, he would be safer than on the street. Two drivers at the track will definitely eat up consumables, which are pretty expensive on that car, and I think he will learn more in a momentum car.

I am curious how an e36 M3 would be safer. That would certainly have more reliability issues. (I’m a BMW guy myself, but I’m not a fanboi, LOL)
CarJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarJunkie For This Useful Post:
why? (03-04-2020)