View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #47
prandelia

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Their E2/ST4 spec sheet looked like they dyno'd at @ 193whp. I may have referenced the wrong one but it looks like that's what they reported. It's difficult to believe they're running on 100 Octane. Did you assume this or did they state this? The reason for my inquiry is:

My T4 car has a 55mm restrictor plate on stock engine with an OEM header (no cat) and it very safely made 188whp on 92 octane. Without the restrictor I would easily make 195+ on pump gas with a safe tune for endurance racing. It seems like a waste of money to run 100 octane ($13/gallon) if making the same power you would on pump gas.

The only thing I can think of that would justify the 4x extra fuel cost is that they tuned lean for economy like 13.5:1. Considering how cold it was there and they were still close to 240f with a cooler suggests they were running lean because on a 90+ day I run 240-250f oil temps while in a draft but with 12.5:1 afr. I definitely would like to know more. <240f temps with 50wt oil must have had plenty of oil pressure for sure, >10psi/1k rpms I imagine.

My first thought was how they can drive this car for this long without cooking the diff fluid. Then I remembered how cold it is a thunderhill in December and the fact it rained for 10+ hours of that race.

With that being said, they may have done what I did on my 2013 FRS - change out the harness and coil packs to 2015 parts. I also have heat shields in place. While the car is in motion there's little heat soak on those coils due to how much air is flowing through the engine bay (and how cold that air was). The heat soak that's the most harmful is when the car is parked; when cars with headers (no shields) are run hard on a hot day then parked with the hood closed. After I come off track I leave the fans running for 10 minutes and pop the hood as well.
I dunno, maybe it was using gutted stock cats or other stock exhaust parts. I only make 200WHP on E85, with all the "best" supposed mods, ACE, etc. etc., but we told the tuner to shoot for highest power with safe setup. My dyno was with 5W40, and suspect the 5W50 costs maybe a tiny bit of HP, compared to what a lot of street/DE guys use for max HP dyno runs.

Good to know. Well, I just found out that my '15 actually was the early model that had the "old" '13-14 setup. I thought all '15 models were updated. I was wrong, they were not. So I am now going to upgrade to the "new" harness and coils, and add a bunch of heat shielding (headers are already dual ceramic coated).

Also got my track-box so I can flip on peddle dance mode and fans with a switch, something I haven't been able to do until now.

Yeah, thought about adding a diff cooler too, but I'm running at most three 15-20 min sprint races/sessions a day, with a bigger cover (about .75L extra fluid), so that should be fine for 4-6 track days before needing to be changed, and that's the heavy duty 80W250 Giken fluid. I'm interested to see what it looks like after about 5-6 days on track.

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote