View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #1301
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Well that was a fun read!

There is nothing in either statement that shows the recall work was the cause. It is just assumptions. What both do have in common was that they had been driven hard for a prolonged period at the time the engine went and caused a fire. Not that that is an excuse but would be a good indicator why they had fires and nobody else of the 80 relevant complaints did.

"SEVERAL WEEKS LATER, ON MY WAY TO MY REGULAR MECHANIC TO HAVE THE REPAIR INSPECTED (DRIVING ON A PAVED ROAD ON PRIVATE PROPERTY AT SONOMA RACEWAY IN SONOMA, CA), I EXPERIENCED A BANG AND KNOCK IN THE ENGINE."

"2 WEEKS OF DAILY COMMUTE TO WORK WITH NO ISSUES, THEN ON FEB 17, 2019, I WAS DRIVING UP HIGHWAY 1 FOR A COUPLE HOURS,"

I am amazed that the majority of the complainants seem to think that the NHTSA is some sort of consumer advocacy group that will make Toyota pay. They are not. They are a safety agency and that is all they will address. Of course more complaints will make them look into the safety aspects but that is where it will end.

The number of current investigations into the issue is telling all on it's own.

It was also interesting to read the complainants statements as to Toyota's response when they contacted them. It was almost unanimously "it is up to the dealer to resolve".
Go after the dealer and you stand a much better chance of getting resolution. An initial consult with a lawyer is usually free so at least check it out and don't expect NHTSA or a class action to do the work for you.
Attached Images

Dadhawk (11-06-2019), gravitylover (11-06-2019)