soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Christ, I’ve been trying to find an electrical apprentice gig for a while now. Got in touch with the local union and they told me that my current skill set offers zero transferable skills. Might be time to go back to school.
i don't know how it works in canada, but in the US, the union accepts just about anyone that's willing to sign up and wait, or immediately accepts anyone that has connections within the union. but there's no pre-work prerequisites that i'm aware of.

my company is part of the midwest chapter of the IEC. very short version, it's somewhat like a non-union union, except at the company level instead of the employee level. we've got our own school, same as the union, recognized by the department of labor, just the same as the union school. but no one i've talked to has any experience prerequisites.

the main prerequisites are a mostly clean driving record, no illegal activity, no drugs, a willingness to work, and some mechanical aptitude--my latest test is to have the new guy take a 10x10 canopy, set it up by themselves, and then after a little while, take it down and pack it back up to how it arrived onsite. you wouldn't believe how difficult this is for most of the latest hires...

try https://ceca.org/
it appears to be the canadian equivalent to our iec.