View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
AT-JeffT

Drives: 14 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenercarguy View Post
Reverse down a slope (like a driveway into the street) and turn your wheel to full lock in both directions (do it twice) if you hear or feel a "pop" then your bushings are (for sure) going bad. They could still be bad without this occurring though. However no: they cannot 'leak' as they are not hollow in any way. What you're seeing is the bushing grease that is applied to the bar/bushing before install (for noise, vibration, and harshness reasons, as well as to give the bar a small amount of play). Some of the grease may have been pushed out by pressure overtime.

Thanks for posting this. I had some very minor (but annoying) noise when reversing out of parking spots, especially if there was some incline. The bushings looked mostly fine. Only a small gap where the bushing is slotted.
Picture of worn bushing 75K miles

I replaced the bushings and while it's still early the noise/clunk seems to have gone away.

Also, for anyone trying to diagnose the same issue, I had noise when pulling away from a stop. Lastly, the sway bar did not have any up and down play, but I was able to move it horizontally, which the new bushings don't allow.

This would have been a very tricky diagnosis without the above info, thanks.

Edit: Actually it turned out to be the front strut mounts. Found some info on a TSB about it here.

Last edited by AT-JeffT; 11-09-2019 at 09:57 AM.
AT-JeffT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AT-JeffT For This Useful Post:
Keenercarguy (08-10-2019), mrjj (03-21-2022), solidONE (03-22-2021)