View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 02:30 AM   #1
Drft204

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post DIY Cheap Armrest Simple and Easy. Updated as of Aug. 5 2019

Hey guys,

I made this armrest for around $30 with material you can get at a craft store.

Materials:
-Simple Cushion foam 2" thick
-1/2" Thick Styrofoam Board( Can be replaced with MDF board if you have the proper cutting tools.)
-Your choice of cloth, suede, vinyl, or leather (pictures are of cloth but I updated with suede)
-*3M Super 77 Adhesive

Tools:
-Hot Knife for cutting the foam board.
-scissors
-marker/pencil
-your cupholder tray
-the rubber mat in your center console

Directions:
Trace out the rubber mat onto the foam board and use hot knife to cut.

Take the foam board you just cut and trace onto the cushion. I used scissors to cut the cushion.

Glue the cushion to the board. You wanna start wrapping the fabric over to your preferred tightness. Once you have figured that out, make marks on the cloth and cut to where it overlaps the edge of the board about 1".

Now glue around the Styrofoam board and and edge of fabric. Wait briefly for it to tack. Then you can start wrapping

You should end up with something like this.

Let the glue dry before attempting the next step.

Trace two soda cans onto fresh foam board and cut.

Flip the arm rest upside down. Place the round cut foam board on-top and now use the cup holder tray upside down to line up the circle foam board pieces. Mark, and glue into place. This is going to sit in the cup holders so the arm rest doesn't move around.

Your piece is now done. Just let it dry for 24 hours before installing it. If the glue leaks out and gets onto your car trim, it can be a paint in the ass to clean.

Here's the finished product with the two different orientations you can use it in.

Sits nice and flush

Forward

Does not get in the way of the ebrake or heated seats

Here is an updated version with suede. It's much more stretchier so you can avoid wrinkles.(As of Aug.5 2019)

I'm obviously not a professional but I have been using it for a few days now and I enjoy the comfort it offers.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. Also don't forget to post pictures of your own version.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Drft204; 08-05-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Updated Version
Drft204 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drft204 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-05-2019), humfrz (07-23-2019), Lav (07-23-2019), maslin (07-23-2019), ML (08-08-2019), MuseChaser (07-23-2019)