DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,050 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have learned on this forum though that the standards for techs vary so much between Canada and the US that we may as well be on different planets. For 4 years I have preached "techs are well trained and very competent" just to learn that I was very wrong when talking about those in the US. I had no idea that instead of a 4 or 5 year apprenticeship with extensive college level theory and very strict practical requirements like we have any Joe with a wrench can work on a car there.
It's odd, and I would've believed the contrary, until seeing several of my friends working in a dealership and being a parts delivery agent. Next to lighting farts in an empty engine bay, the most professional thing I've come to expect and hope for is the use of a fender cover so their pants buttons aren't gouging the paint. That is low hanging fruit for any tech who wants to work on customer vehicles.. It's a shame, really. I don't mean to insinuate that they're ALL like this, but as far as locally, I can confirm that the bar is only slightly above backyard tech. Reason being that a lot of people rely on the dealership for warranty and other repair. They do not need to fight for public image or customer base.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-25-2019), Tcoat (03-25-2019)