Old 03-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #53728
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yea, I agree it was predictable, but it least there was some plot to it and not just a bunch of gags sewn together with some serious bits. As I said, promise but not there yet.

Me either really, growing up I couldn't afford them except maybe once a year on our annual trip to my grandparents farm to KY. I would get one for the road at our first stop to keep me occupied. My favorite thing was Friday and Saturday night B horror/scifi movies on television.

Like many, I've watched the original series multiple times, but not recently. I've watched all the series except Discovery (sorry, don't need another streaming channel, and not paying for it).

Of the others, Next Generation and Enterprise (I know much maligned but I liked it, particularly later seasons) were my favorites. Voyager was OK but I don't miss it, and I never could get into Deep Space Nine, although I know a lot of folks rank it higher than any of the others.
I couldn't afford them either but when I was about 10 my dad came home one day with about 6 big boxes of them that he had go in some sort of trade or another. There were hundreds from the early 50s to the late 60s. Most were DC but there were still a bunch of others as well. The Flash ones were one of the most common so I sort of focused on it. Since the show is more or less focused on the Silver Age Barry Allen Flash universe (only in modern times) it all is familiar to me. Many aspects of the show such as the discovery of the multiverse and the interaction between the heroes/villains from the different earths is completely canon to the comic books of that era. Anybody that doesn't know the comic book history may think that things such as Jay Garrick showing up on a regular basis is forced or contrived when it is actually 100% accurate to the books. Yes, the writers have had to change things a bit to make the story fit (such as Barry being raised by the Wests) but all in all they did a great job of tying 70 years worth of stories into one timeline.
Dadhawk (03-07-2019), Sapphireho (03-07-2019)