Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
Ha! I wish.

It's just a concern of mine. I know the cars don't directly compete, but since Ford/GM are killing sedans, BMW/Audi/Benz/etc have all killed the manual in the last few years to say I'm on edge is an understatement.

Sales have dropped like a stone and there have been zero official announcements of anything regarding the platform.

I honestly think, best case scenario here, is we get a 2nd generation with a 2.4 Turbo by 2021 and that's it... until govt regulations strangle and ultimately kill ICE engine development by early 2030's.

Worst case is they kill it by 2020.

In-between I think is the most financially logical l option...to pull a Nissan and move 8-10k units every year as a niche product since development costs have been recouped by now, leaving it on the vine for the next 5-6 years until it's so outdated the government won't let them sell it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It is not a highly marketed car. Never has been.
We didn't hear a peep on the 17 upgrades until they happened so don't panic now.
There will never be a 2.4 turbo. They have made that very clear many times so any rumours are just speculation and wishful thinking.
It will stop some day but they have already planned that so the Supra will have no impact.
The sales are still pretty good for the segment. Yes they have dropped since introduction but as far as we know they are still selling what they built and that means they are meeting their goals. They are not now nor never were looking for high sales numbers for these cars. Profitability is not their purpose in the overall scheme of things. Sports cars as a whole have dropped so it isn't just these.
Attached Images

HKz (01-16-2019), nikitopo (01-16-2019)