View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
As an outsider, this ruleset seems doable to start with. I have autox a few times but decided to go the track route in the end, though my car is still close to STX prep since I planned for that path originally. And thankfully the Norcal 86Drive Challenge rules are more forgiving to SCCA mods then 86cup rules (STX is a street class car vs. touring/modified basically). And I can second @Tony r as there are very few autox guys that come to the track to compete.

My biggest gripe is the current state of "200tw" tires that wear way faster. It does nothing but increase cost for drivers over the course of a season. And if you autox you would likely need a separate set for TT since you don't necessarily want such a wide tire.

As far as people testing the rules I just see that as what happens in any competitive environment, no matter if the goal was that or to give people an opportunity to get their feet wet. The key will be incentives that benefit the new people and not just stuff for the top guys at each event.

But if I look at things like GTA, I either need to put a catted header in as well or be in class with turbo cars. Or basically needed a track only car with full safety gear for NASA. So for someone like me new to tracking, I like this opportunity. The more series there are the more likely you can cross over between one or two and still be competitive in class.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (10-11-2018), strat61caster (10-11-2018)