ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,018 Times in 2,338 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Back in 2005 my wife leased one of the last of the Pontiac Sunfires. She had two before it that had been great cars but this one was total junk from day one. The driver mirror fell off the door (twice), the headlights would go out at random times, the dash was so loose you could move it by hand, the rear seat base was 1 1/2 inches higher on one side than the other and the passenger seatbelt would jam up weekly. They tried to fix it but never really succeeded. About a year into owning it she had enough and made a deal with Mitsubishi that they would pay the lease termination fees if she bought from them. We called Pontiac and they said that we would need about an hour to turn the car in. She copied the warranty work orders (volumes 1 and 2) and off we went to our hour long scheduled appointment. We pulled into the lot and the sales manager came out to greet us. He was rather upset that we were terminating the lease early. We showed him the reams of paper and he tried to say that we must have just drove the car "too hard". I said that was that and told my son to get out of the back seat as we were leaving. He opened the door and the whole interior door panel dropped to the ground. I told the manager "that is why were are terminating the lease" we got in my car and drove away. The whole event lasted about 2 minutes, we never did sign off on the car and never heard from them again.
Along those lines, I opted to take the Fiesta out for one last thrashing before handing it over to Ford tomorrow. The drive was fantastic and the car is just as fun to me now as it was when I bought it. Then I got home and the plastic cover on the bottom side of the driver's seat popped off with a cracked clip that I had to glue back together. Sums up living with the car for 3 years quite perfectly. Nothing major ever broke, and the car is a blast to drive, but it constantly had little annoying things falling off or breaking. Almost all of it I could fix myself without much effort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (10-10-2018), Tcoat (10-09-2018)